11.14.2009

The One To Grow Old With

Tim and I are married for over 2 and a half years now. To our parents, we might still be newlyweds. No kids, no mortgage, no burdens. Truly, we've been fortunately enough to live very worry free. When Tim and I first met, we were just 21 and 19 year-olds. Now he's 28 and I am 26. How time flies. These 7 years has been a wonderful journey. We have tasted the 酸甜苦辣 (sour, sweet, bitter, spicy) of life altogether.

In Biola, when we first started dating, we would see each other everyday: after classes, during lunch breaks, church, fellowship, club events... After Tim graduated, I stayed at Biola for 2 more years before I graduated too. During that period, Tim would come see me at least once every 3 weeks. He was working in Berkeley at the time, which is a 7-hour drive to get down to Biola. Whenever he did come down, he would leave Berkeley after dark and just drive through the night, when he'd get to Biola, it'd be around 4,5 A.M., and he would just take naps in the car and wait for me to wake up and come down to meet him. And whenever he'd leave, I'd cry and look like a pile of mess. (What a great way to leave an impression for your boyfriend to remember you by?)

One time, he came down during my birthday weekend, took me to Disneyland and asked me to marry him in front of Tomorrow Land. From that day on, we still spent another year long distant since he had moved to Vancouver, Canada and was working there instead. He came to see me less after that, because he couldn't just drive down to LA whenever he wanted, he had to fly, and not just domestic flights but international flights.

Many people gasped at our two years of long distant relationship during our course of 5 years total in dating. They said some people would have broken up by then, first of all for the 5 long years of dating, and second of all for the 2 years of not being able to see each other much. But I am glad we endured through tough times and have kept our love fresh to this day.

Three months ago, we lost our first baby to miscarriage. That to us, was the toughest thing to overcome by far. The day before the dreadful news, it was Tim's 28th birthday. I was making a birthday dinner for him including a homemade cake. He was so happy and satisfied. That very next day, I told him I was nervous to go do ultrasound. He said no need to be, everything would be fine. He took half a day off from work to drive me to the hospital. When we talked into that ultrasound room, he was still smiling, and so was I. We told the nurse that this is our first, and the nurse smiled at us too. After that, everything was a flashed before me. Tim looked at me as I laid numb on that ultrasound table. The nurse rushed out to get the doctor, the doctor called my OB/GYN doctor. We quickly got out of the hospital and drove to my OB doctor's office. My doctor confirmed the bad news with a thorough check up. We discussed options to have me go through surgery to clean out the remains or to have it naturally come out. I told my doctor I didn't want to wait because I was afraid that if Tim's at work when I miscarry then I'd be bleeding heavily and I wouldn't know what to do, I wanted to go through with the surgery. So my doctor scheduled two days after to operate on me. Tim called his manager and took the rest of that day off too.
Tim cried. The first time was 7 years ago when he yelled at me and made me cry. This was the second time, the third, fourth...

Since the recovery, I felt I have gotten older, so has he. And we will continue to age, until our hairs turn gray and our faces full of wrinkles, but we'll still love each other to death.


No comments: