6.10.2014

Wait For Mommy


In this day and age, we're always in a hurry getting things done or getting somewhere on time, that we often rush our little ones along. This is something that I dislike--rushing kids and make them feel they're behind. Although I must admit, I couldn't resist doing it from time to time, too.

Thinking back to my childhood, when life used to be much simpler, my parents would always take me to my grandparents to spend the whole day with them on Sundays. My cousin and I would just climb trees, pick fruits from the trees, ride our red tricycle around Grandpa's backyard and watch Sunday afternoon children's TV programs. We also got to observe how my grandpa took care of his garden or practice his Chinese calligraphy, and how my grandma and mom cooked meals in the kitchen. Time felt irrelevant during those days, and I remembered it like it was a beautiful dream.

Staying home with the kids, I often try to squeeze in cleaning the house, washing dishes or doing laundry and picking up after the kids as they play. Throughout the day, they'd ask me to get something for them that they couldn't reach or do something for them that don't know how to do on their own. When I am in the middle to finishing up a chore, I'd ask them to wait for mommy to finish up. It's not that I can't drop what I am doing and help them right away, but I want them to learn how to wait and have patience at a young age. They used to throw a fit when they didn't get what they wanted right away, but I can see that slowly, by practicing waiting, they are much calmer as they wait for me to finish up whatever I am doing until they get helped. It's second nature to them to "wait for mommy" now. I think as of today, I suddenly see the fruit of my labor--enduring through all the whining and tantrums when I asked them to "wait for mommy" all these times before, I just thought, I'd share this little joy with all of you.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 says, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. "

The first attribute of love is being patient. How hard is it to achieve being a patient person in this consumeristic, fast-food society? I guess we all need to be reminded from time to time to slow down and enjoy what we have at the moment. I don't need my children to learn every skill there is out there that have classes for, but I need them to learn how to live a full and enjoyable life knowing and practicing what love is in God's eyes.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

This is a GREAT post, Dali!!! I love seeing how you and Tim are raising Sophie and Brandon!!! They are such lucky kids.....

Unknown said...

Thank you Kathy, you're so kind. I am learning with them too. Kids keep growing and changing, and it's my job to grow and change with them. ^_~

Mariko said...

dali, its been a long time
didnt know you have a blog! does it take even more of your patience to have them learn patience?

i'm encouraged by your post:)