6.14.2014

Zucchini Bread

Talking about kids not eating their vegetables. How come it was not even an issue back in my days when I was growing up? I L-O-V-E eating vegetables always. I only learned to eat so much meat after I got married, because my husband loves eating meat, and without it, he would feel like he hadn't eaten a real meal. Sigh. No amens, please. 

I never knew that getting kids to eat greens is such a common problem nowadays. However, as a mommy, I refuse to let my kids defeat me in this subject matter. 

"Kids, let's make zucchini bread!"

"Okay! Can I do it, Mommy?" shouted, with excitement! 

After that exchange, I knew I've already won. Grin*

_______________
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cups of wheat flour and wheat brand mix
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup organic sugar
3/4 cup non-GMO canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
one medium organic zucchini about 2-2 1/2 cups

I leave the spices, like cinnamon and nutmegs, out, so it's more plain for the kids.

1. mix all the wet ingredients: oil, eggs, then add sugar and vanilla extract. 

2. in a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

 3. chop the zucchini into cubs and trim the ends away.

4. put the cubs into food processor and lightly pulse it,

or you could grate it by hand too, until it looks like this.

5. mix the dry and wet ingredients together and then fold in the zucchini.

 6. coat the baking pan and pour the batter in.

7. preheat the oven to 350F before hand, and bake it for 1 hour.

After the hour, when you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean, then it's done!
I like eating it when it's hot. The outside is so crispy and the inside is moist and soft and warm. A true delight not only for the kids, but for mommy, too. ^_^

Yes, even our youngest and pickiest food critic gave it a green light!

Cheers to a happy weekend, everyone!

No comments: