4.29.2014

Aisan Style Steamed Bun Hamburger

I've always enjoyed eating my dad's homemade steamed buns as a child. I remembered his strong hands and buff arms as he kneaded the dough on the kitchen counter for a long period of time. Even though I thought 'why not try to make the buns on my own', I do not have the arm muscles like my dad's to knead the dough by hand.  So I cheated a little bit by using the Kitchen Aid mixer. It worked just as well, fortunately! 

First, I mixed a packet of yeast (1 1/4 teaspoon) with about a cup of warm water to let the yeast become active. 

In the mixer, I put in 4 cups of all purpose flour,

1 1/2 cup of warm milk

then the active yeast mixture.

Meanwhile, I started cooking a red wine short ribs stew, which the meat will be used to eat with the buns in the end. 

After the dough was kneaded, by the mixer, I let it rise in a bowl for 45 minutes.

Look at how much bigger it grew.

Then I rolled the dough into little round shapes and let them rest another 25 minutes until I actually steamed them.

By that time the meat was also done.

The meat was so tender and fell right out of the bones.

I also prepared lettuce leaves, and cilantro to make the bun hamburger, or a bunburger. ^^ It was a hit!

Brandon surely liked it!


No comments: