2.02.2009

Contentment

These days, I am feeling lonely in Boston, ever since my cousin came to visit, I realized how much I miss my family in California. I went back to San Jose for a couple days to fill that homesickness, but when I came back to Boston my heart was even more empty. Some might ask, isn't Tim enough for you? I must say yes, but I think community support is also important to me.
I don't feel connected to our church, in fact, we have skipped church couple times already, and guess what...nobody even bothered to call and ask if we're doing okay.
I was at a historically low point these couple of weeks, until... Tim and I started to do devotion and pray together and share our thoughts in honesty. I told him how I felt and he told me how he felt. It was the most amazing thing. God called us to be partners with each other, but we haven't really shared in the spiritual level as partners until now, when we realized that the other person is all I've got here.
From our sharing, we accept our state of loneliness from a community that we long for but don't know where to find. We suddenly saw many hidden blessing from God in this period of time that we took for granted. For example, if it weren't for this time when we have no others in our lives, we wouldn't have sat down and share heart to heart our inmost thoughts. If I always feel that I am loved by everyone, then I would never have the humility to reach out to others in need. If we always have people to hang out and have fun with, Tim and I would have no time to grow together as a couple for better or for worse.
Rough times are blessings in disguise. It causes us to stop and think and grow as a person. Actually, every period of time has its own goodness to offer, we just have to see through all the messiness and the diamond will surface and shine in its most beautiful radiance. I treasure this time of stillness, when God removed "people" from my life, so that I can focus on Him alone. Quietness is what this world lacks, there are noises everywhere you go. People are afraid of quietness and stillness, because they want to avoid thinking about their lives as much as possible and just "have fun". But having fun is not all there is to it in life. We have got to grow and mature as human beings, and this progress is not to come without some struggles and pain along the way. To avoid it altogether is not the way to live, in fact, who is to promise that no unhappiness or pain will befall them ever?
In the end, I want to praise God and give Him glory, even though during this time, Tim's dad had a stroke and my grandparents both were taken into emergency care by 911 in separate times within 2 weeks. God has brought our families closer to Him, and has given us more strength ever to get through this tough time together.

1 comment:

R Cheung said...

yea, hopefully we'll see each other more.. don't feel lonely.. you're almost done w/ school . Perhaps God will lead u back to the West side..