3.01.2015

Sophie's Birthday





After finishing up the book of Job in the Bible during my daily devotionals, I felt the mortal finiteness of myself and the omnipotence of God and His incomprehensible wisdom. I was reminded once again that God can do anything, and I cannot.

Today was my daughter's birthday party. I had been planning it for a month. I bought all the decorations to match the theme, made all the signs, ordered all the food and a birthday cake, hired an award-winning balloon artist and designed how the whole 3 hours would be played out. I even printed black-and-white photos of her past year and made backings for them out of scrapbooking card stocks, I dripped each photo with a crystal on a patterned string and was planning to hang them on the tangerine tree branches in the backyard. I thought I was doing a lot and was smart about every little detail. However, like Job, but maybe not to his extent, I was shown what a limited being I was.

Yesterday morning when I checked the weather for today, it showed that during the 3 hours of what's supposed to be Sophie's birthday party, there were going to be 40%-60% chance of rain, and then it would be sunny again for the rest of the night and unto the next day. I began to worry. All the planning might go to waste because of the rain. I though to myself, "it is freaking California. It hardly rains. Why all of the sudden? Why during Sophie's birthday party, where I invited at least 18 kids to come along with their parents?" It never crossed my mind that I'd have to try to make a plan B in case of rain. I was annoyed.

For the following 24 hours, I had never checked the forecast updates so frequently in my life. I clicked the live map to see the prediction of the wind currents and cloud movements. I kept refreshing the weather page hoping to see a change in the percentage of the raining possibilities. Opposite of my hopes and dreams, the percentage never decreased. The indications showed that it would start to rain right when I were suppose to start the party, and it were going to last throughout the duration of the party. I was sad, and I had no power to change the weather. It's up to God.

I didn't sleep too well last night, obviously trying to check for more weather updates. During the middle of the night, I thought God spoke to me in a comforting voice that things were going to be ok, the party would be fine, and the rain would not come during the party. However, I, of little faith, really, really little faith, didn't believe or trust Him. I struggled all night thinking about what I can do to not have the party attendees be rained on. I was trying so hard using my own power but I still felt helpless the more I checked for weather updates, because nothing changed in the forecast.

However when morning came, in spite of my weakness and unbelieving heart, God came through for me. He showed me crisp air, spare white clouds, gorgeous blue sky,  and 4 mph wind speed. That was all I needed to start decorating and putting everything outside in the backyard.

I was so thankful, yet ashamed of my disbelieve. I wasted so much energy just worrying, and I lost sleep over things I cannot control, yet God had already told me that He would take care of this.

Right when all the guests were leaving after the 3+ hours of partying and feasting, the rain came crashing down like the dam had opened its flood gate, accompanied by loud thunders. It was truly a miracle.

If this lesson had taught me anything, it would be to trust God fully, and to listen carefully to Him when He speaks, also, to be humble to realize my mortality and to recognize His deity. I can only give all the glory and praises to God, my Father in Heaven. Thank you for loving on us, showing mercy especially when we are weak, and caring for Your daughter Sophie, because she had a blast today at her birthday party. =)

No comments: