9.08.2014

The Present


I've been thinking a lot about my life as of today. I enjoy spending time with my two kids very much. Everyday after lunch, we would take a nap together on the king size bed, and before we fall asleep, we would cuddle and wrestle, and I would squeeze them tight and toss them up in the air, and they would hug and kiss me all over and pile on top of me. I love our pre-nap-time play so much, it's what I look forward to everyday. I enjoy this love we share with one another, and I love being their mom, the one they need so much, all the time. However, I know that this will not last forever. They will grow up little by little before my eyes, and sooner or later, they will get embarrassed even by a small hug or a little kiss from me, especially in front of their friends. As a mom, I will need to learn to let them go little by little each year until they become adults and have families of their own. One day, hopefully in a very distant future, I will part from life on this earth and they will have to say goodbye to me.

I know that every human being possess this sense that nothing lasts forever. Amidst joy and celebration, there's also a lingering feeling of sadness that "who knows when we'll get to do this again with all the people here right now". I feel that way sometimes at home as I play with my two preschoolers. I know that little by little they'll grow up and they won't be this cute forever, and they won't be this innocent forever, and they won't be this needy forever. Soon they won't need a mid-day nap anymore, our night time story will not exist one day, and our backyard swing, slide and playhouse will be crawling with spiders and piled with dusts because they will not want to play on them anymore. I say this a lot to my kids, "Can you guys just stop growing and be this little forever?" Their response is always the variations of, "No, I want to grow BIG and TALL, like you, mommy." 

At each stage of life, there are different things we are working on, and changes we need to learn to accept and adapt to, but a lot of times, life is mundane, to be honest. I think if our life is full of excitement all the time, everyday, like in those action movies, we wouldn't be able to have the mental capacity to handle it anyways. God is merciful, thankfully, most of our days are pretty peaceful and ordinary. However, because our days are so comfortable sometimes, we forget to enjoy it. From the poem I Dream I Had An Interview With God, I really like how the poet writes about what God's response is regarding mankind,

"God answered, That they get bored with childhood, They rush to grow up, Then long to be children again. That they lose there health to make money, then lose there money to restore there health. That by thinking anxiously about there future, they forget the present. That they live as if they will never die, then die as if they have never lived."

 I wouldn't say this is my mid-life crisis blog entry or anything like that. In fact, I am not feeling the least bit of pessimism right now as I am writing this. I guess all I want to say is, don't forget to enjoy today, no matter how ordinary it might seem, and always be thankful for the Giver for what He has provided for us, right now, at this moment.

Matthew 6:34 New International Version (NIV) "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Here is to a good Monday and a good week ahead of us!

No comments: