2.26.2010

In Memory of My Grandpa

So it was around Chinese new year when Tim and I went to Hong Kong. I wanted to make some Chinese decorations for Tim's parents' house. So I asked Tim to take me to a department store nearby and we found these bright red Chinese calligraphy papers. When we got home, I thought about what characters to use, and I drew a few light pencil lines on the paper and cut out the patterns with a pair of pointy scissors. It all came so natural to me. Tim's parents asked me if I had learned how to do this from a class or workshop. I said, "no, never." But then again, as I wonder where DID I learn to make this, I realized that it was my late-grandpa who inspired me when I was little playing in his garden and his richly decorated rooms with Chinese calligraphy cutouts everywhere. He would make Bible verses cutouts or something that praised God in some way. I used to marvel at how he could make all that with merely a ruler and a pair of scissors. What I didn't know was that I was letting his art into my eyes and into my heart. Now when I do it, it is as if my grandpa were doing it.

I miss my grandpa. He left us in March, 09, just two days before my birthday... This year, my birthday is only a week away. I guess I miss him all the more right now.

By the way, these four characters means: New Spring (Family) Reunion.

4 comments:

JOSH-WA! said...

whoa!! this is amazing!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Josh!

Unknown said...

Hyeah.....you are incredible.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.